Despite what’s going on in the world right now, in a few months football season will begin. Whether you are ready or not, kickoffs will be happening all around the nation with one collective goal in mind for every high school football team; a state championship. With that being said, athletes and coaches need keep their focus on the horizon, and do everything they can to prepare for the season.
With most gyms and schools closed, team workout activities will have to be suspended; but that doesn’t mean you can’t still get your work in.
We’re putting together a series of workouts to help you stay ahead of the curve and #WInYourHomeGame during these times of uncertainty.
We realize that the majority of households in the US don’t have a home gym, so we made sure all these workouts are achievable without weights or equipment. These exercises were chosen by our Xenith certified fitness trainers to make you stronger, faster, and game ready from your home.
Regardless of what position you play, speed is imperative in the game of football.
Generating quick bursts of speed requires your quads, hamstrings, hips & glutes to be able to produce a strong force into the ground to get you moving.
The key in the below exercises is to focus in on those specific muscle groups to allow for a quick acceleration when the whistle blows.
Put some music on, find some space, and let’s get after it.
- High Knee Exercise - 30 seconds FAST
- Pump your arms, knees at least hip length height, keep your chest up at all times, keep core tight
- Fast Feet - 30 seconds FAST
- Start in an athletic squat position, be on your toes, keep core tight, use your arms and do quick steps as fast as you can.
- Fast Feet into Burpees - 10 seconds fast feet, 10 total burpees
- Quick feet for 10 seconds, place your hands on the floor directly in front of you and go right into a pushup position. Your body should form a straight line from your head to heels. *Be careful not to let your back drop or your hips stick up in the air, as both can keep you from successfully working the core.
- Fast Feet Lateral touch – 10 seconds fast feet – lateral quick floor touch– repeat
- Continue with same form as exercise two and after 10 seconds, tap your right foot to the right and repeat for the left side.
- Box Toe Touch - 30 FAST
- Using a box, chair, stool, drive right knee up and lightly tap you right toes to the box and switch feet bringing the left knee and toes up. Keep your chest up and drive your hands with your feet. Always keep that core tight!
Incorporating these workouts into your daily routine is a great first step to making sure you stay on track for when the season finally arrives. Remember, the season is won in the offseason, no matter the outside circumstances. By focusing on what you can control as an athlete, you’ll be primed for success and ready to adapt to whatever the season throws your way.
Xenith At-Home Workout Essentials